What you will need:
1 cup of steel cut oats- gluten free
3 cups filtered water
1-2 T pure maple syrup – this will depend on how sweet you want it
1 t vanilla extract
cinnamon to taste
Step by Step:
1. Soak oats over night with enough water to cover.
2. Drain oats- I used a small colander but I believe there are tools you can buy for this step.
- I have even used the excess water from soaking the oats as “milk” in my coffee. Even though it doesn’t seem to be as creamy as oat milk it is still very delish when you have soaked them with maple and cinnamon, and this way works great if your in a hurry!
3. Rinse oats and place into a blender with 3 cups filtered water
4. Pulse for about 30 seconds.
5. Strain water into a bowl and using a spoon push as much milk from the oats as you can.
6. Set oats aside — I re-use the oats in my Breakfast Lasagna!
7. Rinse excess oats out of blender and strain milk back into the blender, then back into the bowl.
8. Now your milk has been thoroughly strained and you can flavor to taste.
9. Pour milk into blender and add maple, cinnamon, and vanilla.
10. Pulse blender to combine flavors.
11. Store in an airtight container – I used a large mason jar because I have several – for up to 4 days.
A helpful tip: Shake well before using because the “milk” will separate. Enjoy your home-made- no preservatives added- Oat Milk:)
- Breakfast Lasagna (peaceofmindpaleo.wordpress.com)